Maths & Applied Statistics | Scholarships
Mathematics & Applied Statistics First Year Scholarship
Value: $3,000 for 1 year
Applicants must demonstrate:
- outstanding academic achievement
- a high level of performance in mathematics at school
- a strong desire to pursue a career in mathematics.
Applicants are required to gain admission to and enrol in the Bachelor of Mathematics or a related degree as full-time students.
The Austin Keane Vacation Scholarship
Candidates must obtain at least Distinction grade in 24 cp of 300 level mathematics subjects offered by the School. If a candidate completes more than 24 cp, only the subjects having the best marks will be considered.
Students who wish to be considered for the Scholarship should email the Head of School in October. The scholarship cannot be deferred.
Award: 8 weeks work on a research project during summer vacation, supported by a grant that is 2 months pro-rata of the annual stipend of the p/g award.
Tibra Capital Work Integrated Learning Scholarship
Applicants must be enrolled full-time in BMath, BMath(Adv), BMathFin or any Maths double degree at the University of Wollongong.
Applicants must maintain a credit average for the duration of scholarship.
Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia.
Applicants must be able to complete work experience during the Summer break.
Award: $15,000/year for work experience during the Summer break.
Apply via Scholarships Office. (cut-off date usually in Sept)
Tibra Capital Corporate scholarship
Tibra Capital is a quantitative research and investment group focused on utilising its shareholders capital across a broad range of investment strategies. Tibra specialises in equities trading, arbitrage, market making, and algorithmic trading. Locally founded in Austinmer in 2006, Tibra has grown to be a global firm with an excess of 100 employees with offices in Wollongong, Sydney, London, Hong Kong and Dubai. Tibra's investment philosophy focuses on a scientific approach using a range of systemic and diversified trading strategies. As a global equity derivatives market leader, Tibra strongly encourages students with a solid passion for Computer Science, Engineering, Physics or Applied Mathematics to apply for their corporate scholarships.
Summer Vacation Scholarships
The aim of the program is to attract prospective higher degree research students. It offers students an opportunity to evaluate for themselves, and to demonstrate to others, their potential for research work.
- Students must have completed a minimum of 2 years of an undergraduate degree at a standard acceptable for admission to an honours course, and should intend to do honours.
- Students must be continuing as a student at the University of Wollongong in the following year (this is a requirement for insurance coverage).
- If the student has previously held a Vacation Scholarship, the supervisor must justify in writing their reasons for wishing to award another scholarship.
- Existing Honours, PhD or Masters by Research students are not eligible to apply.
- The student will be required to provide a report at the end of the scholarship. It is to be submitted to the Head of School via the supervisor within a month of completion. Award: $3000 for 150 hours work on a research project during summer vacation.
Hypatia Summer Vacation Scholarship
The aim of this scholarship is to attract more female higher degree research students. It offers female students an opportunity to gain research experience and to recognise their potential for research.
PhD Scholarship Statistical / Machine Learning
SCHOOL OF MATHEMATICS AND APPLIED STATISTICS (SMAS), UNIVERSITY OF WOLLONGONG, AUSTRALIA
An exciting PhD scholarship is available in the School of Mathematics and Applied Statistics (SMAS) at the University of Wollongong in the area of spatio temporal modelling of environmental phenomena using techniques inspired from machine learning. The UOW scholarship is AUD$26 300 per year for three years full time. An additional top up scholarship of AUD$3,700 per year for three years full time is also available for outstanding candidates. Tuition fees for international students (for up to 4.5 years) will be waived. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to work with both Australian and international collaborators, and extra funding is available for conference travel.
Applications close 1 May 2018.