Professor Brian Monaghan
- Director of the Engineering Materials Research Strength
- Program Leader for the theme A Sustainable Steel Manufacturing Platform of the Steel Research Hub
- PYROmetallurgical Group Leader
- Liquid Flow Through a coke Packed Bed ( 3 year ARC Linkage project, on-going)
- The effect of changes in oxygen potential on the breakdown properties and reactivity of coke at temperatures in excess of 1500 Celsius. (Master project, on-going)
- The Morphology of Steelmaking Inclusions During Processing (3 year project directly sponsored by BlueScope Steel, on going)
- Fume formation in Welding (PhD project, on-going)
- Refractory systems for the Hall Herout Al process. (3 year CSIRO Light Metals Flagship Project, on going)
- New Indirect Carbothermal Al Reduction Process. (3 year CSIRO Light Metals Flagship Project, on going)
- Development of a Coke Analogue For Coke Reactivity studies. (BHP Directly funded and Graduate thesis)
- Reducibility of Iron Titanate Sands (NZS Directly funded project)
- Measuring the Oxygen Potential In Secondary Refining (BSMC directly funded project)
- Spinel Inclusion Synthesis (BSMC directly funded project)
Recent Completed Projects
- Refractory dissolution in steelmaking slags.
- The dissolution of micro-particles in liquid oxide systems.
- Electrical potential effects on refractory corrosion.
- In-situ coating of steelmaking converters using liquid oxides.
- Effect of char size on the carburizarion rate of partially reduced iron titanate ore.
- Thermodynamic modelling of metal-slag-refractory systems for metals processing.
- Thermodynamic assessment of slag-refractory corrosion in steel and copper refining using MTDATA.
- Insoluble oxide product formation and its effect on coke dissolution in liquid iron.
- The dissolution of MgO micro-particles in liquid oxide systems
- Interfacial Wetting of Iron on Calcium Aluminates.
Chapman, M. W., Monaghan, B. J., Nightingale, S. A., Mathieson, J. G. & Nightingale, R. (2008). Formation of a mineral layer during coke dissolution into liquid iron and its influence on the kinetics of coke dissolution rate. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B: Process Metallurgy and Materials Processing Science, 39B (3), 418-430.
Nightingale, S. A., Brooks, G. A. & Monaghan, B. J. (2005). Degradation of MgO Refractory in CaO-SiO2-MgO-FeOx and CaO-SiO2-Al2O3-MgO-FeOx Slags under Forced Convection. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B: Process Metallurgy and Materials Processing Science, 36B (4), 453-461.
Monaghan, B. J. & Chen, L. (2004). Dissolution behaviour of alumina micro-particles in CaO-SiO2, -Al2 -O3 liquid oxide. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 347 254-261.
Education & Qualifications
- BSc(hons) in Metallurgy conferred in 1989 at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
- PhD in Metallurgy conferred in 1996 at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
- John A Brodie Medal for the best paper in the discipline of chemical engineering presented at the Chemeca 2011.
- Sir William Hudson Memorial Award for best published research paper in the Australasian Welding Journal in 2010
- Sir William Hudson Memorial Award for best published research paper in the Australasian Welding Journal in 2006
- Netzsch Thermophysical Properties Award for Young Scientists, 2002, Conferered at the The Sixteenth European Conference on Thermophysical Properties
- Oluwatosin Aladejebi : Effects of Minerals on Coke Analogue Structure
- Apsara Jayasekara : The Kinetics of coke analogue reactivity
- Xiang Li : Synthesis of high purity silicon carbide for solar silicon Production
- Hamed Abdeyazdan : Spinel reactivity in steelmaking
- Zhe Wang : Ironsand assimilation under iron ore sintering conditions
Phone: +61 2 4221 4580